New Game + allows a player to get a head start on the next playthrough by creating a Ryder based on a previously saved game with the main story line completed.
The New Game + process has multiple consequences causing certain items to change and others to stay the same.
Andromeda Viability Points and Cryo Pod Perks
- All AVP points will reset back to zero and the Nexus level will return to 1.
- Spent and unspent cryo pod perk points will reset back to default and have to be acquired again.
- Any benefits from cryo pod perks will be lost except for currently owned weapons or armor that have an extra augmentation slot already crafted into them. These are permanent changes to these crafted items and don't change with a New Game +.
Everything on the Codex resets back to zero or the default state.
Inventory mostly stays the same after a New Game + while some items reset.
After starting a New Game +, the item limit returns to 100. Most items in inventory will still be available (except as noted below) and the amount can be over 100 items. Ryder will be unable to do any inventory related actions until item count is below 100.
- Currently owned fusion mods will remain in inventory and the game mechanics will reset allowing a second copy of each fusion mod to be collected.
All consumables items in inventory will remain.
- The extra consumable slots from the Always Prepared and Versatility cryo pod perks will reset and return to two consumables slots. These cryo pod perks will have to be acquired again to return these extra slots.
All acquired blueprints transfer over during a New Game + with the exception of a few special item mission related blueprints.
Most ND1 Nomad blueprints that were acquired and/or developed correctly transfer to the New Game + but two of blueprints Improved Boost and Improved Shield Regeneration can incorrectly show up again in inventory. Do not develop any Nomad blueprints until Ryder has landed on Eos and entered the ND1 Nomad for the first time. Entering the Nomad will install all of the previously acquired upgrades and remove any duplicated blueprints.
Most resources transfer over during a New Game + with a few exceptions in special items. All minerals, tech materials, bio materials, salvage, augmentations transfer over as they were from the previous game.
Certain special items remain in inventory after a New Game + while others reset.
- Purchased model ships will remain in inventory.
- Free model ships that are found during gameplay will reset and have to be collected again.
- Remnant Decryption Keys will remain in inventory.
- The Cybernetic Device will remain in inventory and the All Items merchant screen but not as a blueprint. The Humane Trap will remain in inventory as well and will only appear under the All Items merchant screen with no blueprint either.
Everything on the Journal resets back to zero or the default state.
Levels and XP
Certain map elements remain after a New Game + while others reset.
- All revealed areas on planetary maps will stay revealed.
- All mineral nodes will reset and can be interacted with again to collect resources.
- All mining zones will reset.
- All hidden caches reset and can be opened again.
- All map icons will change from completed light blue back to white.
- All forward stations will reset and have to drop from orbit again to be interacted with.
All missions and any mission progress reset back to zero or the default state.
- You will lose the Pyjak from Monkeys in Space and have to compete the mission again to regain your pet.
- It is important to note that until Ryder lands on Eos, and enters the ND1 Nomad for the first time, any acquired upgrades will not be currently equipped. Do not purchase or develop any upgrades until Ryder has entered the Nomad as this will waste credits and resources.
Research and Development
- All researched blueprints will be available for development.
- All developed items will remain in inventory.
- All unspent Research Data (RD) points will be available for researching blueprints.
Any romances will reset back to the default state and you can begin new romances with no adverse consequences.
All items that can be scanned reset and can be scanned again after a New Game +.
- All items that Ryder can scan for Research Data (RD) will reset and will award RD again.
- All anomalies in space will reset and the Tempest can scan them again for rewards. For a complete list of anomalies that give rewards, see Tempest Scanning Rewards.
Because character and squadmate skills can't be reset until the Tempest is available, any changes to skill point allocation and skills loadout should be made to the original character before beginning a New Game +. Make any changes desired to skill point allocation and/or skills loadout and save the game to use for the New Game +.
Remnant VI is a unique skill because it is initially supposed to be locked until the mission Peebee: Secret Project has taken place. However, it is possible to have the skill be available from the start of the game during a New Game +. There are four different cases for this skill and the saved game from the prior character affects if it will be available immediately.
- If the original character has spent no points on the skill (requires a skill respec, because there's already one skill point spent when the skill is unlocked), then the skill is locked and shows as Unknown for the New Game +. The skill has to be unlocked again.
- If the original character spent points on the skill, but it was not assigned to one of the three slots in the active skill loadout, then the skill is locked and shows as Unknown for the New Game +. The skill has to be unlocked again.
- If the original character spent points on the skill, and it was assigned to one of the three slots in the active skill loadout, then the skill is available for use and is still assigned to the same slot in the New Game + loadout. The skill is unlocked and doesn't need to be unlocked again. The mission to unlock the skill will still appear and can be completed as normal. However, the single extra skill point that is awarded for unlocking the skill will not be awarded again.
- If the original character places the skill in the leftmost slot, the skill will be replaced by the "Starting Power" skill from the character's Training. This is due to the mission Planetside requiring your starting skill to be in the left slot. Even though the skill is not shown in the active three slots, this doesn't lock the Remnant VI skill. The middle slot will be empty and open for adding the Remnant VI skill.
Skill Respec Station
Special Delivery Cache
- The blueprints, casual outfits, and paint jobs will show onscreen as receiving another copy but these are not found in the Inventory menu as these items do not allow duplicates.
- The armor items will award a second copy.
- The Pathfinder Elite Weapon Set weapons award a second copy that will be Tier I and will not be level-dependent.
Activating the terminal awards items in an automatic process and so it is possible to violate the inventory item limit by having a greater number of items than normally possible. However, until the item count is at or below the normal limit, any regular inventory-based actions that rely on the item limit will not be possible.
During a New Game +, all four statistics menus are reset back to zero or the default state.
All currently acquired strike teams remain after a New Game + as these are tied to the game account and not a specific Ryder. However, until the mission First Strike is completed, and access to the strike team console is available, it is not possible to interact with the strike teams.
- It is possible to access strike teams with the APEX HQ app before the mission is completed.
- Playing a New Game + doesn't give a free team for completing the mission. Only during the first playthrough, with the first account, will the free team be awarded.
- All currently acquired loot boxes can be accessed by the New Game + and any items collected from opening these boxes will follow the item tier based on Ryder's current level.
Start Mass Effect: Andromeda. Choose New Game, then New Game +.
The Load Save screen from the previously active Ryder will be shown. All characters with save files in the BioWare/Mass Effect Andromeda/Save folder will be shown, including Ryders created as New Game +. However, it should be noted that only save files created after the completion of Meridian: The Way Home (main story line) will be available for New Game +.
Navigate left or right to choose a character. If a character has not completed the main story line, there will be no saves available to use for New Game +.
Choose a file to load. The game will initialize and the Character Customization screen will be loaded. A character will flash on the screen briefly, then the Pathfinder from the loaded game will appear. All previous customization choices will be in place (or default if they were not changed): appearance of all three Ryders (Alec/Sara/Scott), training, Shepard's gender, and name.
Select "Choose Gender." The default Ryders will be shown. Selecting a gender will return you to the main Character Customization screen. If the same gender is chosen, the original Ryder is shown. If the other gender is chose, the previous Ryder's twin will be shown.
From this point, the character creation process is the same as when starting a regular new game.
- Customize Appearance
- Choose Training
- Choose Name
- Customize Twin
- Inherit Alec Ryder Appearance
- Customize History
- Upload Character Data
If the player has an account on the Mass Effect Archives, choosing "Import Character Data" will load the character set currently selected on the website. The set will not be displayed and there is no confirmation before the load.
Choose "Confirm and Start Game" to save the changes and begin the game. Select "Exit" to back out to the main menu without saving.
- Because Ryder's skills can't be reset until the Tempest is available, any changes to skill point allocation and skills loadout should be made to the original character before beginning New Game +. Make any changes desired to skill point allocation and/or skills loadout and save the game. This save will be available for a New Game +.